HEC is higher education commission of Pakistan. The undergraduate and higher level degrees are recognized and verified by HEC whose evaluating criteria meets the general international criteria of university rankings.
HEC ranking criteria are based upon quality assurance and enhancement, teaching quality, Implementation status of QA criteria and research. Each factor on which HEC ranking is based has a certain evaluation weightage. Quality assurance and enhancement has 60 points. The implementation status of QA criteria has 18 points which are further subdivided into Plagiarism Policy Implementation 6 points, Eligibility Criteria for appointments of faculty members 4 points, Criteria for M. Phil/MS & PhD programs 4 points.
Teaching quality has 42 points which are subdivided into Student Teacher ratio 12 points, Ratio of PhD faculty to total faculty 9 points, Total PhD output for 2010 5 points, Selectivity 5 points, Computers 4 points, Library books 4 points and Full time PhD faculty 3 points. Research has 40 points which are divided into different scholars’ research studying in foreign universities, HEC approved supervisors, research grants, publications, journals etc. So, HEC ranks universities on quiet good basis which are internationally accepted. A little bit changes are made in evaluation of universities according to the need of international levels.
The overall ranking of top ten universities by HEC are:
- Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad
- Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS)
- Aga Khan University, Karachi
- University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
- University of The Punjab, Lahore
- National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
- Pir Mehr Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University
- University of Health Sciences, Lahore
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT)
- Lahore University of Management Sciences
These ten universities include medical, engineering, IT, Arts, agriculture and business administration universities.